Sunday 24 January 2016

Walking the plank - Weeks 2 & 3

We're well in the thick of it now, which is odd because we're only on the third week. But my impatience has riddled me and we're already building our world in engine. This always seems to happen; you throw something you've made into engine to see how it looks, and then that initial test map becomes your final level because it's just easier than re-importing everything. One of the main things I'd sort of envisioned in my concepts was this vista of huge scale. Scaling up is a big theme for us as opposed to scaling sideways. So I just began messing around with planes to try and create some scale in the distance. Lowe and behold, this initial attempt at a vista kind of worked.



So we have a few assets created of which I could probably count on one hand. But of course the assets are very re-usable. The two main items would be the buildings we have created which had a fair bit of time poured into them, despite them being street furniture.



One of the main goals beyond producing a nice environment is consistency in that environment. I'm fairly sure Lewis and I have the same brain or something. We're very in sync with the art style that we want already. For instance the top building was produced by Lewis and the bottom by myself. I wouldn't have known.
At the moment we're just creating a couple of more generic buildings and lots of smaller props to litter the streets. Streets-we need streets, I just reminded myself. Then we can move onto hero buildings which have interiors. Should be challenging to model.

-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment